Wednesday, April 2, 2014

What is Creative Writing?

A grocery list is not creative writing. A receipt for a double double at Timmy's is not creative writing. A toe tag at the morgue is not creative writing. Your tax return?
Well... it shouldn't be creative writing. However, a novel, short story, script (for a play or film), or a poem can all be considered creative writing.
It's your choice. For any of these prompts. Try out a few different types of writing. Maybe, use the same prompt and write a short story and a poem with the same prompt, whatever moves you. Just have fun and get those creative juices flowing!

I received a short story from fellow novice writer, Janice Eaton, for our 2nd noteworthy prompt. I love the way she captured the naivete feelings of this sock as it traveled through life's uncertainties and adventures.

Noteworthy Prompt #2
"Write about one sock," my husband snickered, then added with a gleam in his eyes, "in the voice of the sock."
 
A Sock is Born
by Janice Eaton 

I remember the day I was born. There were many of us. Our nurses made sure we were paired up so as we wouldn't be lonely. I loved my partner. We were released after ensuring we passed the inspections and told we were going to a place that would ensure we were handed off to great caregivers. I was nervous but my partner soothed me and wrapped me up and put this cover over me, all along telling me I would be okay.
We arrived at some place where there were all kinds of species like me, but I felt unique. I was glad my partner was there. All us one kind stuck together and were in awe of the beauty around us. There were many things that came and caressed us and stroked us. Some were taken, where I do not know. I was told that these were our potential new caregivers and they were called people. People came in all sizes and shapes and that we were awaiting for the people who would allow us to sooth their feet in the way that they needed.
I was beginning to understand. I could only imagine our wonderful home once we were spoken for. There were times when the darkness came over and no people came. I questioned a lot but my partner said that we need to rest as the people need to as well. I wonder where my partner got all their strength.
Then the next morning, when all the lights came back on and people came by to stoke and feel us again, a people thing chose us. I was all excited and wanted to ask a million and one questions about what our new purpose was. My partner stated that it was time to do our work, the work that we had been born to do, to give comfort and support. I asked if I needed to know anything and my partner stated not to worry as the people would be our guide.
We arrived at our new home and were placed in our new resting place. There were others, but they were older and had their stories to tell of adventures while out doing duties. Some of them were worn out ans stated that they were tired and would hope we could carry on. I was puzzled but fell asleep while being wrapped by my partner.
The next day we were plucked from our resting place, I think they called it a drawer, and put on the people's feet. It felt good; it was like this was meant to be. We were going out, my partner said, and not to worry because shoes were going to protect us. They were out shields out in the elements. Shoes felt great, I couldn't have felt safer. Upon returning, I felt tired and sweaty. My partner and I were placed back together and thrown in something they called a basket. I asked what we were doing there. My partner stated that it was time to have our bath. When it was our turn, we would be separated and washed, dries, then put back together and placed in our resting place.
I like being a sock, no worries. I can't wait to be older and tell the new ones of their adventures to come.

To read more sock stories:
- http://noteworthywritingprompts.blogspot.ca/2014/03/too-busy-to-write.html
- http://noteworthywritingprompts.blogspot.ca/2014/03/left-is-missing.html

Thanks to:
- Janice Eaton for her "Sock is Born" story. 
- http://www.yarnharlot.ca/2009/11/ - for the image of the sock

No comments:

Post a Comment