Thursday, March 13, 2014

Left is Missing

Noteworthy Prompt #2

"Write about one sock," my husband snickered, then added with a gleam in his eyes, "in the voice of the sock."

So my question to you is... cotton or polyester? You choose the sock, just keep it two pages and under, but more than one paragraph. Then send me your creations and I'll post them.

To see Prompt #1 go to A Dogs Walk

I tried not to be cliche, but I couldn't help but go for the missing sock angle. I did this story in an email format, though, so any style you feel the need to use... do it! This is our chance to try our hand at different techniques and genre's. To experiment and find the 'voice' that bests suits us as a creative writer. So, let go a little. Think out of the box... Here's your chance!

"Hi Handsome! Do you like moss?"

Left Is Missing
By Anuschka de la Court


Dear Cotton,

Left is missing I’m hoping you can help. The last time I saw her was the previous Saturday, the 14th. She was lying next to me on a rock beside Dewar Creek hot springs near the town of Kimberley. I hear from Poly that you’re heading up there soon. Would you be able to look for her while you’re there? I’m worried sick about her, you see, we had a fight just before she went missing. It happened along the riverfront just before we crossed a log enclosed by this beautiful emerald green moss. This moss was ‘blow my breath away’ beautiful. I told her I had never seen anything so beautiful in all my life. Well, Left begged to differ. Her hackles went up and we quarreled over that moss from the log all the way to the hot springs.
We were lying in the sun, drying off, on the big semi-round rock to the left of the hot springs and she wouldn’t stop talking about the moss; I got frustrated and just wanted her to shut-up.
“You always think you’re right!” was the final thing I heard, because I rolled over and then promptly fell asleep in the sun. That was the last time I saw her. I can’t believe we fought over moss, and now she’s gone.
I know my actions were disrespectful and I just want a chance to apologize. I miss her. I haven’t been on any adventures since she disappeared. Please help me buddy.

Sincerely,

Right Wind River

To read more sock stories:
- Too Busy To Write
- A Sock is Born

No comments:

Post a Comment